Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Alone vs. Lonely

Soper posted the other day how she is lonely in the new town that she, D and Moonpie are now living. She has been there one year and has made exactly zero friends. And she is lonely.

That could have been me writing that post. We have been here in Florida for just over one year and I have no friends. I don't even have nodding acquaintances.

I tried to get involved with the mom's group in the development that we live in but most of those women are stay-at-home moms (and 15 years younger...thanks IF), so I don't really fit in. They did do activities in the evenings but I usually wanted to stay home with E and/or worked too late to participate.

I work in a mostly male-dominated field and so have little in common with most of the people I work with.

But I don't know if I would call myself 'lonely.' I have always been comfortable being alone. I like my house. I like coming home and doing stuff at home. I like spending the weekends in my craftroom or puttering around in the garden. I like taking E to the beach or the zoo or to just about anything.

Most of all I like me and can easily spend the whole day, if necessary, with just me.

Sometimes, though, I would like a friend that I can go to lunch with or maybe spend a day just goofing off. I miss Sandy and Kathy and Mari (now that she's a grown-up woman and all). I would like to be able to spend a day at a spa with a friend. Or just sit over coffee and BS with.

But, lonely? No. Probably not.

No comments: