Thursday, October 19, 2006

Sleep Talk

Lotta talk lately about sleep and sleep issues.

E used to be great at sleeping in his crib. The move to his 'big boy bed' was kind of hellish hectic though.

Then I watched a Super Nanny episode in which she espoused these rules:

1. Put child to bed. Read a story. Hug. Cuddle. Kiss. Turn out light. Leave room.
When child gets up:
2. The first time the child wakes, take him/her back to bed explaining, "It's bedtime. Stay in bed, sweetie." Kiss. Tuck in. Turn out light. Leave room.
The next time the child wakes up:
3. Lead child back to bed. Do not talk to him/her. No kiss. No hug. Tuck into bed. Turn out light. Leave room.
The next time the child wakes up:
4. Lead child back to bed. Do not talk to him/her. No kiss. No hug. Tuck into bed. Turn out light. Leave room.
The next time the child wakes up:
5. Lead child back to bed. Do not talk to him/her. No kiss. No hug. Tuck into bed. Turn out light. Leave room.

...etc...


For E, the first night it took about an hour of putting him back to bed. The next night it took about 30 mins and the third night, he stayed in bed.

Then we left Albuquerque and there was six months of living in hotel rooms. Since we have been back in a house and E has had his own room, he has insisted that I sleep with him.

I'm not even sure if this will work with him at this age. He was only 2.5 years old the last time. Will this technique work on an almost 4-year old?

I just hate going through all the crying and fussing again but I really can't keep sleeping with him. I get nothing done in the evening because in spite of all my good intentions of staying with him until he falls asleep and then getting up again, half the time I wind up falling asleep anyway. And then when I do get up he invariably wakes up about 11PM throwing a fit that I am not with him.

Pah! I'm just gonna hafta bite the bullet and try what worked in the past. Crap!!

Pray for me.

No comments: