Tuesday, October 24, 2006

How much is enough?

I have been thinking about this for a long time. This is what B and I fight argue scream disagree have discussions about the most.

How much is enough?

I make an okay salary. It's not great, but it's okay. Yeah, I am probably underpaid, unappreciated (who isn't?) but I have a comfortable salary. I am being paid quite a bit less than at my previous job but when ya got nothin' somethin' is pretty good.

But you see, we have no debt. Let me repeat that: WE HAVE NO DEBT. We have no credit card debt, we don't have a car loan, we even own our home outright (free and clear, no mortgage). We have six months CASH in the bank (in CDs) as well as some less-accessible money market funds. We are saving for retirement (401K and IRAs) and for E's college.

B is not happy with that. He wants to find me a better-paying job. Probably Somewhere-That-Is-Not-Here.

I don't want to move. I'm not saying that I don't EVER want to move but we have moved so much in recent years that I am content to stay here for a while. E is not even 4 years old and he has already lived in 6 states. He needs some stability.

And I need to rest.

Why can't B understand that?

No comments: