Friday, May 05, 2006

Potty Training Trials

Yes, people, it is not going well. After six months we are still in those blasted pull-ups. I was hoping by now that my diaper-changing duties would have come to an end. I don't know what to do. The boy can't have any ice cream until he is 26 and will only be able to visit the park when he has children of his own. Obviously withholding privileges doesn't work with E.

I've tried dangling his cherished Spiderman underwear in front of him ('you can't wear these until you can go a day without going pee-pee in your diaper, E!'). I've tried asking him every 5 minutes, "E, do you have to go pee-pee?" Invariably in the last scenario he will have gone again 4 minutes and 59 seconds after I ask him.

He is pretty good at going poopy and will always come to me and say, "Mommy, I have to go poopy." But he only does that with me. Not with B and not at school. Now this works okay with me. I haven't changed a poopy diaper in months, but I think B is starting to get jumpy. One interesting thing about his pooping habits, though, is he always has to get completely undressed before he can go poopy. Don't ask me why you need to remove your shirt when you poop but E does.

But getting back to going pee-pee...I asked my SIL how it went with her kids. She said that she didn't have any trouble, but then her kids were always naked. Really, I have no problem with this and think that a couple of naked days and a couple of days in just underwear will work with E, but B flips out anytime E's wingding is exposed for more than a few minutes.

"Ahhhhh!! Get a diaper on that thing before it goes off!!" Now E isn't a baby and he knows what to do. I think he is just lazy and stubborn (obviously traits inherited from his mother father) so I think the above reaction is a bit overdramatic but I am starting to get tired of this.

What should we do???

On a lighter note, I am including a newsclipping that was sent to me by my SIL. I really think this woman's baby has worse things to worry about than jackhammers.

No comments: