Monday, February 27, 2006

A Little Anorexic

I have something in common with Marilyn Monroe. No, it is not her famous mole or her many husbands. It is not her money or her glamorous lifestyle or how batshit CRAZY she was (tho' some may dispute that last one).

I used to wear the same size she did; size 10.

And in today’s crazy world a size 10 is considered CHUBBY. Marilyn Monroe, perhaps one of the most famous SEX SYMBOLS of all time would be considered too fat for Hollywood.

I started thinking about this when I was reading someone else’s blog (okay…it was Tertia) and saw a picture of her where she described herself as ‘Barbie thin’ and said how she loved being that thin. What started my somewhat addlepated wheels churning was wondering what she thought when she was that thin. Was she satisfied at that weight? Or did she think to herself, ‘…maybe 5 pounds…’ (that’s about 2 kilos for you more enlightened countries).

I know I did. Looking back at pictures of myself I can’t believe that I was not happy with how I looked. I know I always wanted to lose just 10 pounds…then I would be perfect.

Now I know I will NEVER be anorexic…I just love to eat too much, but I am wondering if we are all just a little anorexic.

Judging by some of the men wearing speedos on the beach (AAGGGHHH my eyes!!) they don’t seem to have this problem.

Are we, as women, ever satisfied with our looks?

No comments: