Thursday, February 17, 2005

Mildly to Moderately Delayed

We had some speech pathologists come to evaluate E a couple of weeks ago and Tuesday I got the results of his testing. They said that he was 'mildly to moderately delayed' in his speech. The gist of it is that he knows a lot of words (mostly nouns...I give him names for everything), but he doesn't seem to know/understand verbs/adverbs. He knows a lot and can follow simple directions ('pick the bottle up off the floor and hand it to mommy', 'let's give Ellie a cookie', 'where's Gemma?'), but he just is not making sentences.

He has started to say 'more milk' (actually 'mil'), 'more cracker', 'bye, dah' (he means 'dog') but that is the extent of it. At 26 months he should be saying 2-3 word sentences.

The speech therapist is going to try to arrange to go to his daycare once a week and work with him. I wish I could be there to see what she does, but I just can't take that much time off work.

Sucks to be me, I guess.

No comments: